An open reply to hate mail

UPDATE

August 24th, 2010

Travis… um, or maybe you prefer Lorena? Whichever.

Don’t you think that you’re taking this out of proportion? Dude! SEVEN EMAILS? SERIOUSLY? And the last one, TWICE! SERIOUSLY??

So you don’t like what your bible says about your sexual preferences? I have a present for you from my favorite book of the bible:

Leviticus 18:22: Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

In short, your god detests you. I don’t – I advocate for the rights of people like you.

… and you’re calling us atheists, “hypocrites,” and engaged in a fight defending religion? RELIGION??!!  Don’t you see how ridiculous your argument is? Get a grip, man.

Next time I will expose your email address and have you know what massive hate mail is. I’m done with you.

*****************************************

August 23rd, 2010

So after our Twitter Sunday School I got this email:

———- Forwarded message ———- From: **** **** Date: Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM Subject: Wow. To: me Sunday school…. What hatred. Umm hypocrite much?

And today I got this new one:

———- Forwarded message ———- On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM, **** *****

wrote:

Confused and lost? If you despise religion, and humans practice religion, then you are asserting that you hate peoples’ beliefs, which in turn can hurt a persons feelings. Knowing that a person hates/despises who and what they are, and believe inevitably brings them down. Remember, “Practice compassion & remember that everyone you meet loves something, is afraid of something, misses something & has lost something. ♥”

I am a male gay Christian. My partner is an atheist. You’re a hypocrite. Ha!

What what?

So, here is my reply:

Greetings sir,

Thanks for taking the time to write this missive, I appreciate your efforts.

I take it that you’re replying to this tweet of mine: “So in RE. to your mail: Not hatred nor hypocrisy. Everything I said in Sunday School is true, I don’t hate religion – I despise it.

Aye – I do despise religion, not people, not people’s beliefs, the fact that religion enslaves people’s minds. I am not trying, though, to change anyone’s mind. I find it saddening, that you feel that you have the right to call me a hypocrite, but I understand that you’re frustrated, and maybe, just maybe, afraid of losing your faith.

On the other hand, I don’t appreciate the way you have treated me. You, as a Christian, should find in your heart enough goodness to forgive my inability to believe in any gods. You are not a very good Christian, I suppose, since you must have read that verse in your holy book that explicitly says that you’re not supposed to marry, let alone just have intercourse out of wedlock, with a person of a different set of beliefs, much worse an atheist infidel, and for as unbelievable as you might think it is, much much worse in a gay relationship. But that is none of my business, right?

Just for your enjoyment I am going to show you what I’m referring to:

2 Corinthians 6:14-15: “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?” (KJV)

1 Corinthians 6:9-10: “Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Do you still believe that you have the right to call me a hypocrite?

No, sir, I am not confused, it seems to me that you are.

I do practice compassion, and believe in every word I say publicly and privately. I am a humanist, I respect people.

You didn’t take in consideration that I didn’t expose either your name nor your email address in my tweet, and I’m not doing it here either. That should show you a little bit of the type of person that I am.

I don’t have to respect religion, I think it is a bad thing, but I also know that, since your mind is enslaved, you won’t accept any of the facts that I could present to you to make you understand why I think this way, I know that religion has caused much harm, not just your religion, religion in general.

I am glad that you read my tweets, I suppose you do like at least half of them, so thanks for that too. I hope they don’t bring you down too much. By the way, does your ‘atheist partner’ know that you’re emailing me this?

Point in case, thank you for your time, I think you should leave a comment here, my email address is for more productive and amicable things. If you want to debate, I am here for you.

Good day, sir.

Share:Share on Facebook0Share on StumbleUpon1Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Reddit0Share on Tumblr0Share on Google+0Digg thisPin on Pinterest0

8 Responses to An open reply to hate mail

1. K says:

I think you, I, and Bill Maher have a few things in common.

2. dsartain18 says:

To the person that wrote the hate mail:

Also, Romans 1:18-32, where Paul flat out says that homosexuality is not natural, and is among the things/people God’s wrath is poured out against.

Paul goes on to say that we are ALL guilty of fracturing the law, not complex Christian ethics, but entry level morality. As we stand before God, we all deserve judgment and eternal damnation in Hell. He is not wicked for this, He is GOOD for this. For who among us sees a judge who lets clearly guilty criminals go free and calls it good?

He then says that God sent Jesus to die and rise again for our sins, the fracturing of the law, so that we would be declared right in the eyes of God through Jesus Christ, while we are being sanctified (made more like Christ) in this life, until we are perfected when we either die, or Jesus comes back.

I hate religion in that it tells us that we must try to work harder to please God, that we must work harder to be right with God. This goes against everything the Bible teaches about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We CANNOT work hard enough or do enough good to be right or accepted by God. Righteousness and acceptance is only found by grace (a gift we don’t deserve) through faith in Jesus Christ.

As far as hypocrisy goes…yes, the church is full of hypocrites. The church is full of people who strive to love God and to do what He asks of us, not out of fear but out of love in response to the grace He has shown us in Christ Jesus. And yet we fail, because we are human and we are being sanctified, and the process is not complete. It’s not an excuse, it should drive us to our knees and cause us to ask God to continually make us more like Him, to change our affections so that He would be the supreme Treasure of our lives, so that we would WANT to bring Him glory more than anything else.

Then there are the hypocrites that are not like the above description. They simply show up on Sunday morning and claim Christ, but make no desire to live by His word. They do not show a love for God in their lives because they ignore what He has revealed to them in the Bible and try to justify it with relativistic nonsense. They do not love God, their hearts are hardened. And when they die, God will look at them and say “depart from me, I never knew you”.

My question to you is this: Which kind of hypocrite are you?

What a nice compliment! Thank you.

I wonder if your fellow Christian friend chose to reply to your comment via email as well. He can be quite obsessive!

5. NewYorkComic says:

I want to make sure I’ve got this straight… You consider yourself a Christian, but think the Bible has nothing to do with your beliefs? What do they read and teach from on Sundays when you go to Church? “How to Beat the House at Black Jack?”

P.S. P.S. = Post script. So if you’re going to do a bunch of ridiculous followups, at least adhere to it properly.

i.e. P.P.S. —> Post post script. P.P.P.S. —-> Post post post script. Get it? What’s “P.S.S.S.S?” Probably Shouldn’t State Stupid Soliloquies? Sounds nice. Follow that and you’ll do better next time.

6. It’s kind of sad that someone that went to the same school as me can’t formulate an argument or use proper adjectives. Please don’t say you went/go to NYU anymore. It is really depressing.

You never cease to amaze me and amuse me, Ryan. Thanks for your comment, my friend.

8. Some years ago, I had an article published in an Arizona newspaper.  I suggested it would be fair and honest if all religions had to pay taxes the same as any other business.  This would lighten the tax burden on everyone and isn’t that what religion is supposed to do –  Lighten the burden for all?

The replies mailed to the newspaper were often so vile and obscene they could not be printed.  Some contained threats so serious they were forwarded to the police.  These all were from “good christians”.  I regret not having saved them as they would have made a book, Wishes From Christians.