Look at that, you son of a bitch.

❝You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch.’ ❞

— Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell

11 Responses to Look at that, you son of a bitch.

1. Thomas says:

So true.
    This reminded me of a poem (I don’t recall the details) laid out in the shape of a circle, in which it was said that if the Earth (or a similar planet) were a foot in diameter and we were able to observe all the life that existed on it, it would be treasured and cared for, and no harm would ever be allowed to come to it.
    I wonder whether anyone has done a simulation of the planet, viewed from space, showing acts done in the name of religion. Green for good, red for bad. I wonder how much of each colour there would be.

2. Thank you for the reminder to broaden my perspective!  Atheism leads me to take more care of this world because it’s all we have, instead of seeing it as a temporary home like Christians do, or trusting that God will clean up the mess we create.  Love your website!

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention Look at that, you son of a bitch. | Monicks Unleashed -- Topsy.com

4. John says:

What a great post :)
    I dislike how atheists only remember the bad christians who dont practice tolerance and compassion for all people and all living things. I also do not understand how someone can see the corruption in religion, but not see the corruption in the ruling class that is not religious and throws it around as a reason for everything, thus making everyone blame religion. Divide and conquer. How many good things have been recorded in the history books? How many people would rather write about the bad things?
    I love how this picture speaks for itself.

5. Colin Williams says:

Appreciate the sentiment John, but your post proceeds from a number of fallacies. Of course it is easy to attack the extreme examples of religious mania, but these are only symptomatic of the wider problems caused by religious beliefs. It is only possible to really care for all living things (in a practical sense) if we understand how they, and the threats that face them, work. Such understanding comes only from science. Sadly, so much of the religious agenda seems intended to subvert scientific understanding, and so damages the prospects of life & nature. As for the ruling class not being religious – where do you live John? I’d like to move there! In many countries (including the USA) it’s almost impossible to achieve power without professing religion.

6. Lewis Robinson says:

I love how your argument is very similar to ones white supremacists would use against blacks. I am sorry but Science has actually done more to destroy our world then save it. I mean think science has created so many evils Guns, Atomic Weaponry, Combustion Engines that lead to Global Warming, Mustard Gas, Eugenics, Survival of the Fittest, etc etc etc.
    This isn’t actually how I feel but gives at hint at how I hate the arguments between Atheists and the Religious. Guess what Religion has caused just as much damage to our world as Science and has done just as much good whether you like it or not. Quit being so ignorant. Also if you don’t believe me about good done for this world by religion I suggest you look into Taoism, Buddhism, and Native American religions.

To put this as simply as possible. EVERYTHING HAS ITS OWN FAULTS. MAN, NOT ANY BELIEF, VIEW, STUDY, OR FORM OF THOUGHT IS TO BLAME. EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING IS JUST AN EXCUSE FOR MAN TO DO EITHER GOOD OR BAD.

7. Dan Galeano says:

Never heard this quote before! Humbling!

8. JMG says:

You’re right, science only gave us heat, shelter, longer living, cure of diseases, more efficient work, and umm may i mention that little quote above that we’re all on this website for. from there i’ll stop. the argument of religion can go on for decades, there will never be an answer. so with that i thank science for the view above. and agree 100% with the quote

9. Kaylee says:

To put it bluntly, religion was invented to keep the “lesser” people from fighting back against what they thought was wrong. Someone made up a deity that would kill them or their family if they went against the higher powers. What kind of BULLSHIT is that? It was a way to keep the underdogs down and that’s what a lot of people nowadays still try use it for (i.e. the WBC, politicians, etc.etc.). They see it as, if you don’t believe in a higher power (or the wrong higher power), you’ll go to a place with eternal fire and sadness. And that seems a bit ridiculous to me. well more than a bit. It seems COMPLETELY ridiculous to me. But that’s just my opinion and I’m entitled to it, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only person that thinks this way…

10. Pingback: The word God is for me… « Monicks: Unleashed

11. What good has come from religion that required religion?