Do you deserve to be stoned to death? – Tweet of the day

Atheists can cite the bible, too. Actually, we can do this quite well…

Here’s the Twitter link.

… quite well as to annoy the jeebus out of the Christians who’d rather not hear about these less popular verses of the bible.

See, I do challenge people beliefs, I mean if you believe this is your god’s love talking, then that’s fine by me, *whispers* not entirely, but kinda… sorta.

So, just in case you are not fully aware of what your religious affiliation includes – and you really shouldn’t be – that’s where my tweets come in handy.

I kinda enjoy the reactions these tweets generate, like this lady’s reaction, who though this tweet was full of anger.

***facepalm***

See, I didn’t say anything really offensive, I mean, it IS offensive, but I didn’t make it up, did I? The problem here is that this person is taking offense from ME instead of whom, allegedly, is the author of such offense – her loving god.

Well, most Theists will say that it’s me agan picking and choosing, or that the verse is taken out of context, but it’s a long-ish piece of reading so, if you don’t believe me, here is what Deuteronomy 22:13-21 actually says. There are only so many ways you can twist a verse to make it mean something different than what is written.

So, Dear Christian lady, were you a virgin before you got married?

10 Responses to Do you deserve to be stoned to death? – Tweet of the day

1. Beast says:

You are so mean LOL.

2. M says:

Monica is the nicest person in the blogsphere.

3. Well, at least you got some sort of response from her that wasn’t full of vitriol. I would think it’s more of attention seeking behavior on her behalf then wanting to a full scale argument or dialogue. It’s surprising that she follows your tweets.

4. Kevin says:

(John 1:17) …the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

Gospel of John chapter 8:1-8

But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
    2  And early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people were coming to Him; and He sat down and began to teach them.
    3  And the scribes and the Pharisees brought^ a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the midst,
    4  they said^ to Him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act.
    5  “Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?”
    6  And they were saying this, testing Him, in order that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground.
    7  But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”
    8  And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
    9  And when they heard it, they began to go out one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the midst.
    10  And straightening up, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?”
    11  And she said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go your way. From now on sin no more.”>

Psalm 103:8-14

8  The LORD is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.
    9  He will not always strive with us; Nor will He keep His anger forever.
    10  He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
    11  For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.
    12  As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
    13  Just as a father has compassion on his children, So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.
    14  For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust.

Jesus said in Matthew 22:29

“You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures…”

You, my friend, are totally biased – and I love that fact.

But…but… I didn’t make it up!!!

Oh, of course I got some replies like the ones you describe from other people, but I think, in her case, I really did hit a nerve. She was (putting it mildly) upset.

She tweeted at me a few more times, this is just what fitted into screen capture.

First off, let me thank you for your visit, and for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate it.

Having said that, I have to be honest with you. I’m sorry, Kevin, but you’re not really making a point, or I’m failing to see it.

And that you end your bible cites with that phrase by Jesus, well, just the fact that such great master as Jesus couldn’t -or refused to- explain his parables in a clear enough way that even his disciples could not understand them, makes me see his teachings as a royal waste of time. I’ve always wondered why he had the need to teach in parables. Why didn’t he (or rather all the authors of the many books of the bible) say/write/teach in plain good universal layman language, and without leaving any room for misconceptions and mistranslations? One would think that’s the wisest thing to do, don’t you think?

If you’re trying to make a counterargument of the bible with the bible, there lies a classic case of circular reasoning.

9. Kevin says:

Thank you for your courtesy and for taking the time to reply.   You Wrote:
    Dear Christian married lady: were you a virgin? ‘Cause if you weren’t your bible says you should be executed. Deuteronomy 22:13
    The point of my post was to suggest that the post above presents a “half-truth” as far as the bible is concerned, and that the implied underlying premise of the post (which I would state as follows: “the Christian ladies bible says she should be executed if she was not a virgin when married”) from my viewpoint is not true.  Let me explain.
    It is true that the law of Moses called for death by stoning for those Jews under the Mosaic system at that time who were guilty of the immorality spoken of. The conclusion then to be inferred from the post it appears is that the God of the Bible is to be defined as being entirely harsh, cruel, condemning and unloving so that the “Christian Lady” addressed should feel badly that this is the type of God she believes in. The post also implies that if she was guilty of similar immorality that the bible requires her to be executed as well.
    The other half of the story not explained however is that the God of the Bible is to be defined through other information revealed in the Bible especially through the person of Jesus Christ. Yes, the law of Moses reveals what sin is and how a Holy God views it and at times must deal with it. However in Psalm 103 (and many other places) we see the mercy, compassion and forgiveness of God also explained. Furthermore, we also see the Grace and mercy of God revealed in more than one way in the person of Jesus Christ. When we see Jesus in the verse I cited from the gospel of John not condemning the woman found to be in immorality we have a window into the heart of God and a glimpse of his merciful nature.
    Hence the quote, “The law was given through Moses….(the half you presented); Grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.” (the half I am presenting)
    Regarding the phrase, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures…”, I would suggest it be read in its entire context (Matthew 22:15-33), but I am echoing Jesus statement to those who had come to flawed conclusions about the afterlife based on their incomplete knowledge or acknowledgement of all the scriptures. My reason for quoting it was because I believe the post made above is also mistaken in like manner because it also does not take into account a complete knowledge of scripture and therefore also comes to a flawed conclusion - in my opinion.
    Deuteronomy 22:13 did call for execution for immorality for Jews under Mosaic law at that time but the the New Testament, which is what primarily governs the life of the “Christian lady”, does not. The “Christian lady” presumably has repented of her sins and believed in Jesus who, because of his love for her, took her sins with him to the cross of Calvary as if they were his own and suffered and died in her place. Jesus was executed – if you will – in the place of the “Christian Lady” and therefore she SHOULD NOT be executed because there is no longer any sins being charged against her….they were all canceled out….. removed as far as the east is from the west (psalm 103)….taken away by the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world . To reiterate, the Christian lady is not under the law of Moses but under the New Covenant of grace  realized in and through Jesus Christ as explained in the New Testament.
    Allow me then to rewrite the post to accurately reflect what I believe the Christian ladies bible teaches her,
    “Dear Christian married lady: were you a virgin? Cause if you weren’t please don’t worry, your Bible says that God loves you and has forgiven all your sin because of what Jesus did for you at the cross of Calvary!…….Go and sin no more”
     (John 1:29)  The next day he saw^ Jesus coming to him, and said^, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!
    (John 3:16-17)  “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. {17} “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him.
    (John 15:13)  “Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.