Fables should be taught as fables

Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing. The child-mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can he be, in later-years, relieved of them. In fact, men will fight for a superstition quite as quickly as for a living truth – often more so; since a superstition is so intangible you can not get at it to refute it, but truth is a point of view, and so is changeable.

– Hypatia of Alexandria

14 Responses to Fables should be taught as fables

1. David says:

Did you get this from here:
    or did they get it from you? Or is it just coincidence?

I am going to call it coincidence, because anyone could have found this quote in a book. However, if I had taken it from them, I must have made up the last part of the quote, because the one on your link is missing the last four lines. Didn’t you notice that, David?

3. David says:

Ah, no I did not notice that. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

4. Monicks, you purport yourself to be a ‘critical’ thinker and a ‘faithful’ of science but you blog only the predictable atheist platitudes and you quote the usual drivel from other atheists.

Your last ‘authority’ on Christianity was Albert Einstein. So the boy is good with numbers and has a grand imagination to theorize. His Theories are just that theories, so what makes him an authority on the ‘supernatural?’ How is he so credible to possibly know what is beyond our senses? He knows less about redemption than you.

Again, you praise yourself for your astute intellect, but you cannot ‘disproof’ Christianity. How do you know that Jesus Christ did not rise from the dead? You weren’t around then. How do you discount two-thousand years of unchanging dogma, given man’s propensity to embellish?

How do you discount all the Martyrs who died for the Church? Who dies for a ‘fable?’ You expect me to believe that they were all doped up?

I read every one of your posts. You are so passionate about disproving Christianity. You are so insistent that everyone must be an Atheist like you to enjoy a fulfilling life. I read your blogs and it sounds like you are trying more to relieve yourself of Christian ‘fables.’

You are trying to convince yourself, Jesus Christ is ‘folk-lore.’ If you really were so astute at ‘critical’ thinking, given the preponderance of the evidence for Christianity, the best you can conclude is, “I don’t know?”

I’d like to see you investigate and even go there and see with your own eyes this Church claim that the body of Saint Bernadette Soubirous is incorrupt. This defies your ‘science.’ She is the ‘Sleeping Saint of Nevers.’ There are many examples of Christian events that defy science.

I am your Brother in Christ,

ralph marie de largo
    02/10/2012

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

6. Chris says:

Oh no you Di’int!!

7. Ralph…you misrepresent Albert’s position. In multiple interviews, his use of the word god was related to the design of the universe, not an imaginary being.

If you can disprove unicorns, I’ll disprove god. Obviously, no one can prove negatives. An argument of deceit or ignorance on your part?

Unchanging dogma? Your kidding right? Slavery, you still doing that? Stoning your unruly children? Killing the infidel? No, I guess your dogma changed.

“How do you discount all the Martyrs who died for the Church?” Make believe, delusional or just stupid…that was an easy one.

” Who dies for a ‘fable?’ ” No one, there is zero historical evidence for Jesus outside of fraudulent religious writings and the bible.

“You expect me to believe that they were all doped up?” No, expect you to realize all that crap was written to support something that never occurred.

Evidence for God or Jesus? Preponderance? Hell, I’d like to see a shred of evidence.

“I’d like to see you investigate and even go there and see with your own eyes this Church claim that the body of Saint Bernadette Soubirous is incorrupt. This defies your ‘science.’ ” ONCE AGAIN, you’re wrong. Saponification. Rare, true but so is Saint Hood, coincidence? Maybe not so rare, we’re not in the habit of checking.

Care to try for another.

“I am your Brother in Christ” Not my brother, I don’t believe in your brand, nor any other, of bullshit.

You have yourself a great godless day.

G. Michael

8. Ralph: has it occurred to you that atheists are answering the “arguments” believers give to support the existence of their deities and the truthfulness of their holy books and that these neither the contents of these books and the arguments have changed?

How many ways are there to say that 1 + 1 = not a lot?

You people come with some less childish arguments, and atheists will be quick enough to rise up to the task. Or you know what? Do something really original for once, and provide evidence for your claims. Now, thàt would refreshing!

9. I for one am tired of answering the same nonsensical positions over and over and over and over again. My gawd, how many times do we have to show religion is full of crap. JUST ONCE, JUST ONCE, I want to see a shred of proof not based upon proven lies.

10. Optimistix says:

I completely appreciate with this statement because telling superstitions as the truth are leading lots of people towards the wrong way.

11. Allan Jones says:

ahhh crap !! I was just reading this and my computer froze… Is god angry ?? :)

12. i can see it gods like oh hell on you will feel my rath he cast his hand forward and siad thy computer will freaze for lil wail wwaawaahahha do you feel it i will not be mocked lol XD all mighty is the invisible pink unicore in the sky =3

13. i ment “no” an “freeze” lol

14. Baerista says:

There is something profoundly amusing about a site that prides itself on “thinking critically” and then goes on to uncritically ascribe a quote fabricated by the soap-salesman Elebert Hubbard in 1908 to Hypatia of Alexandria, who has never been recorded to have said any such thing. With other words: this post is a clear case of intellectual FAIL.