Jesus loves you! What does that even mean?

One of the most overrated and trite phrases believers ultimately shout at atheists and skeptics, in their frustration when we retort with our evil reason and logic to their attempts of proselytizing is “Jesus loves you!”

Jesus loves you? What does that even mean?

When someone loves you, they go out of their way to show you their love for you. Think of your parents, your siblings, your closest friends, your life partner. Think of the people you love, you worry about their wellbeing, you do things to please them, you want them to be healthy, content, their needs taken care of, in a word — happy.

What could Jesus ever do for you? Does he look after you? Does he feed you when you’re hungry? comfort you when you’re sad? heal you when you’re sick? or at least if not magically, does he remind you to take your meds? Does he stay up until you get home to heat up dinner for you, and keep you company while you eat? Does he worry about you and give you a call when he hasn’t heard from you in a while? No, he doesn’t.

These are some of the things that anyone would do for the people they care about, and you probably do some of these things for the people you care about. Even if Jesus had existed, and was a real person and demigod two thousand years ago, he can’t do anything for you today. Heck! If Jesus had had the power the bible says he had, he could have done so many amazing things for all mankind; instead of healing a couple of blind men and a couple of lepers, he could have eradicated blindness and leprosy, and done so with much less effort than our scientists eradicated poliomyelitis; instead of turning water into wine for a wedding, and feeding a few hundred people with bread and fish, he could have appeared a freaking river full of fish for all Ethiopians to feed off; wouldn’t that be something awesome and worthy of someone with such powers and love?

But Jesus loves you.

According to the Christian doctrine, no matter who you are, whether you believe in him and his heavenly father or not, whether you’re good or bad, if you’re worthy or not of his holy love, Jesus loves you just the same. Deservedly or not, you are loved by Jesus. Jesus loves everyone, and does exactly as much for everyone — nothing.

Love without a single demonstration is not love, it’s just a word. Now is when I should remind you of the millions of people suffering and dying from disease and famine in the world, right? I don’t think I need to.

What makes love meaningful and wonderful is precisely its uniqueness; you are loved because you are special to the one who loves you.

Jesus loves everyone.

Jesus’ love is meaningless.

You think differently? Prove me wrong, and I’ll change my mind.

34 Responses to Jesus loves you! What does that even mean?

1. Stephen wong says:

We love you Monica, we read your tweets, we follow you, keep on.

2. Steven says:

For some reason telling someone who pisses you off that “Jesus loves you!” is posited as a positive alternative to “Fsck you!” but it amounts to the same thing. I remember tossing that phrase around a few times as a teenager thinking that I was being a “good witness.”

I don’t recall when I decided that it was better to actually swear, or simply say nothing at all. At some point I decided it wasn’t for me, though I still thought it sounded cute for a while when I heard girls say it. (Much later it just made me think that they must be airheads if that was the best that they could come up with. I can be such a dick sometimes.)

3. As a child, I asked my pastor why Jesus didn’t just eradicate hunger, disease, and all that if he could turn water into wine. He replied, that the miracles weren’t the point. He wanted US to do a lot of that work.
    Fine.
    But a lot of the conservative churches – and they’re the ones who throw around a lot of that “Jesus Loves You” jazz – focus more on the miracles and recruiting than they do feeding the hungry, standing up for justice, or simply not saying something hateful to someone “on the outside”. It must be easier for them to say Jesus Loves you so they themselves won’t have to.

4. Nic Dafis says:

It’s not “love”, it’s “wuv”.

5. Jim says:

Hello Monicks,
    Along the same lines,, Just watched Clerks two and Jay and Silent Bob explained the electrical power of Christ shields them from relapse. And Silent Bob displays the Holy Bible. At the same exact time, Jay dances to ‘Good bye Horses’ from the motion picture Silence of the Lambs. Silent Bob/Silences of the lambs, how are these elementary Christian themes described?
    Thanks

6. Craig says:

Like Steven says, ‘Jesus loves you’ basically means, ‘We’ve got nothing, f*ck off’.

7. Jesus never gave me anything so I don’t believe he loves me, but Santa Claus gives me presents every year, so she surely loves me, and I love her!!!

8. Jack says:

Jesus loves us so much he gave his life to torture us forever if we don’t love him back. How deep is your love?

9. Chris says:

This is how I think of it: Jesus taught by parable, and the Bible speaks as allegory. Corinthians 3:6 says, “the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.”

When Jesus died, he went back to heaven. Since he’s not here on earth, the hands God must use to feed the hungry and touch the sick now are yours and mine. In other words, we are the “hands of God” which Jesus personified. We are responsible for loving one another as the Bible showed Jesus loving and caring for others. Allegory.

Just like religion itself, the phrase “Jesus loves you” is a reflection of both the speaker and the addressed. It can be an extrememly positive or negative sentiment. It can simply mean, “I wish only the best for you”, as “God Bless You” means after a sneeze. Or it can mean nothing.

The actual experience of Jesus’s love, or any love for that matter, can be extremely powerful. It can move a person to be better. It can even move a person to overcome one’s greatest obstacles in life where nothing else will help. For example, surrendering yourself to a “higher power” is an indispensable tool in overcoming addiction (AA and 12 Step programs).

We all experience life differently. I appreciate the ideas and discussion here.

10. hoverfrog says:

That’s deep and well thought out Chris but I sincerely doubt that most believers give it even a fraction of that much consideration. Rather they take religion at face value. When they say that “Jesus loves you” they think of a literal Jesus person who literally love you and not of some figurative universal love.

That’s why I find it condescending and ill considered to say such things.

11. I’m not as nice. You’re making an apologist argument for a load of bullshit. Nazarene didn’t even exist when Jesus was supposedly alive.

The word of god, is in contradiction or flat out in error ….often.

What in world would make you think the ethereal Santa exists?

It can only be hope and desire, there is nothing to even to begin to suggest it’s truth or reason.

12. James Willmott says:

“the hands God must use to feed the hungry and touch the sick now are yours and mine.”

God didn’t need us, as hands, to create the universe, why does he need us, as hands, now? Can’t he do anything without a human intermediate?

13. Pingback: Shit Christians Say to Atheists — Let us reply! « Monicks: Unleashed

14. Richard says:

Unless Jesus’ love is demonstrably meaningless, it cannot be proven meaningless. Therefore you are wrong in making that positive assertion.

If you had said ‘I am skeptical that Jesus loves’ you would be justified. But you did not. You made a positive assertion and thereby reversed the ‘burden of proof’.

The conclusion ‘Jesus does not love’ does not follow the premise ‘People suffer.’ Unless you can prove otherwise, your conclusion fails, and in essence, proves ‘you wrong’.

If you are a person of integrity, you are now required to keep your promise of “I’ll change my mind if you prove me wrong.” :)

If you’d like to discuss how Jesus demonstrates His love to the suffering, I invite you to e-mail me.

15. K. BANN says:

James, named in the Holy Bible of God’s words of TRUTH; who by way was a disciple.
    One thing you are accurate in stating is that “God doesn’t NEED YOU/I”. WE NEED HIM, there is absolutely NOTHING WE CAN DO FOR GOD BUT ONLY FOR OURSELVES TO RECIEVE THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE IN HEAVEN NOT HELL!
    THE PURPOSE OF GOD USING US IS TO DISPLAY HIS LOVE AND CHARACTERISTICS JUST AS JESUS HIS SON DID WHEN HE LIVED A DEMONSTRATION OF GOD’S ILLUSTRATION! GOD DOESN’T ASK OF US ANYTHING THAT HE HAS NOT ALREADY GIVEN!!!! IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME HOW THE BIBLE IS THE ONLY REPORT THAT HAS FORTOLD EXACTLY WHAT HAS AND IS PRESENTLY TRANSPIRING IN THE WORLD THROUGHOUT HISTORY… WARS, FAMINES, DEATH, NUCLEAR DISASTERS….HOWEVER, WE PERISH BECAUSE OF LACK OF KNOWLEDGE WHEN WE REFUSE TO TURN ASIDE FROM THE TRUTH AND NEVER STUDY NEITHER PAY ATTENTION TO CURRENT EVENTS IN THIS WORLD….THE WAR BEGAN LONG BEFORE ISHMAAL & ISAAC YET IT IS STILL GOING ON WITH THOSE TWO NATIONS …THE PALASTINIANS/MUSLIMS & THE ISRAELITES/JEWS!!!!!!! PAY ATTENTION HAS ANYONE EVER CONSIDERED HOW SMALL THE LAND/AREA OF ISRAEL, JERUSALEM IS? NOW ONCE YOU’VE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK THINK CAREFULLY WHY IN THE “HELL” IS THIS LITTLE AREA OF LAND SO IMPOTRANT BEING THAT IT IS THE SMALLEST PIECE OF LAND IN THAT NATION????????? YES I INTENDED TO USE THE WORD HELL LITERALLY BECAUSE HELL/SATAN HAS FROM THE BEGINING BEEN AGAINST IT….WAKE YOUR MINDS UP GET SPIRIT LIFTED…….

16. K. BANN says:

G. MICHAEL ALSO NAMED AN ARCH ANGEL….ACCORDING TO GOD’S HOLY WORDS OF THE BIBLE……LET ME ASK YOU THIS… WE SEE PICTURES, WE BELIEVE. WE SEE THE BUILDINGS, WE BELIEVE. WE SIT DOWN UPON A CHAIR….AND WE BELIEVE. NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID LET ME REVEAL TO US HOW WE ARE BEYOND REBELLIOUS AND CONTRADICTING IN OUR THINKING! THOUGH WE DIDN’T EVEN WITNESS WITH OUR OWN EYES THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE WONDERS WE CAN ALL EVIDENTLY SEE; WE STILL BELIEVE THERE WAS A PAINTER & A BUILDER. AS FOR THE CHAIR WE EXERCISE THAT THING WHICH IS CALLED “FAITH”, BECAUSE WE TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO THOUGHT AS TO WHETHER OR NOT WHEN WE SIT DOWN; IF THAT CHAIR WILL HOLD US UP OR COLLAPSE RIGHT? WHAT’S THE POINT? MY UNDERSTANDING OF GOD’S POINT FURTHER THE APPLICATION OF GODLY WISDOM IS THIS! HOW BE IT PERCIEVABLE FOR US TO BELIEVE AND HAVE FAITH IN THESE THINGS; YET HAVE NO INTELLIGENCE TO RECIEVE KNOWLEDGE, GET AN UNDERSTANDING, THEN APPLY WISDOM TO IT’S NATURE TO SEE THAT FOR US AND MULTIPLE OTHER FORMS OF LIFE; TO BE A CREATION, THERE HAD/HAS TO BE A CREATOR!!!!! GOD THE FATHER…..THE SON…THE HOLY SPIRIT…. WHICH IS WHAT WE ALL ARE IN NEED OF IN ORDER TO REMOTELY COMPREHEND WHAT IS THE DEPTH, THE LENGTH, THE BREATH, THE HEIGHT OF GOD…….GET YOUR MIND RIGHT AND GET SPIRIT LIFTED……

17. K. BANN says:

MONICA I AGREE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU IN REFERENCE TO “I AM MY CLOSEST BEST FRIEND AND COMPANION”; AT THE SAME TOKEN THIS SAYING HOLDS TRUTH IT ALSO HOLDS DECEPTION/ LIE. “WHICH IS OF THE DEVIL WHO WAS A LIAR FROM THE VERY BEGINNING”, A IT IS THROUGH THESE VAIN IMAGINATIONS THAT WE OURSELVES ALLOW SATAN TO TAKE PLACE WITHIN IUR LIVES…. THIS GOES BACK TO OUR CREATOR…. NOW ASK YOURSELF THIS ONE QUESTION PLEASE… “DO WE, CAN WE, ARE WE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR EXISTANCE/IN OTHER WORDS ARE WE THE ORCHESTRATOR OF BREATH TO WAKE OURSELVES UP EACH AND EVERY DAY; OR IS THAT ABILITY GIVEN AND THROUGH WHAT MEASURE IS IT GIVEN? BEFORE YOU RESPOND WITH “THE HUMAN ORGANISMS WITHIN THE BODY”; ASK YOURSELF WHERE AND HOW DID THESE ORGANISMS COME INTO EXISTANCE. I GAURANTEE THAT WITH EVERY REASON YOU CAN COME UP WITH EVERY SINGLE ONE LEADS YOU BACK TO THE REALITY OF AN EVEN HIGHER POWER SUPREME THAT IS THE ALL MIGHTY OF MIGHTIES……WAKE YOUR MIND UP GET SPIRIT LIFTED……..

18. K. BANN says:

P.S ALSO MICHAEL FOR MICHAEL THE CENTURION THAT KILLED JESUS CHRIST! AFTER HAVING KILLED HIM AND WAS SPRINKLED WITH JESUS’ BLOOD SAID AND I QOUTE! ” EVEN I WHO HAS SLAIN JESUS CHRIST THE MESSIAH; HE HAS FORGIVEN IN THAT HE DIED EVEN FOR ME”!….

19. Anthony UK says:

So to conclude from the shouting in the comments. LISTEN TO ME DAMMIT.

I’d find it easier to grasp “Jesus’s love” if the Bible didn’t give the impression of being written by an Bronze age cult member displaying the ignorance of that time, such as countless animal sacrifices to please their God, and treating women as possessions of men (it’s instructions are all aimed at men with reference to “their” females).

Start with the concept of praying. If you can demonstrate that statistically more religious areas suffer less than areas with little or no religion, then I’ll give your other stories more consideration. If this were true it would be very trivial to show.

If you can show me anything in your Bible which shows facts known to the author but not known to common folk of the time, or if you can show anything from any other cult, past or present, which is untrue, or any event of any kind which shows the need for a God to make it happen, then I’ll give your particular religion more mindshare.

If belonging to a group consensus makes you feel warm and fuzzy, it can no doubt be a beneficial thing, albeit a brief effect, just like any other placebo. But don’t expect the rational folk to tiptoe around and not burst bubbles, because facts about the world is what makes *us* feel warm and fuzzy (it’s why scientists are disproportionally non-theistic).

Ultimately, we all have our own ingrained level of happyness which we always settle back to after experiencing blips of highs and lows. It’s down to you whether you’d rather spend that in a deluded state, with the ultimate bitterness which follows from the increasingly educated demographic pointing out to you how vacuous your words are about the modern world.

We value truth highly. As yourself whether the religion you belong to aligns with a) what’s true, or b) the religion you were exposed to at a young impressionable age. If you answered “a” then ask yourself how someone in India would typically answer that question, or people in Saudi Arabia. Is the religion you subscribe to based on truth, or your location?

20. arthur says:

God is love and who feels it know it

21. hoverfrog says:

What does that mean, arthur?

22. Tex says:

Jesus loves just who exactly?
    Millions of innocent children die from starvation and terrible diseases every year, so just freaking deluded must one be to speak such BS. Or, maybe he just hates children?

23. Tex says:

Jesus loves just who exactly?
    Millions of innocent children die from starvation and terrible diseases every year, so just how freaking deluded must one be to speak such BS?
    Or, maybe he just hates children….?

24. Liv_bella says:

This is the way of the world. This is how life works. Nothing is handed to you in life and Jesus has nothing to prove to you. Jesus said “I assure you, if you had faith the size of a mustard seed you would be able to say to this mountain ‘move from here to there’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible for you”. I don’t think we should expect Jesus to do everything for us, that is not the point of this life. And as for starving children… You blame Jesus? Why aren’t you there Volunteering your time or paycheck to help? THAT is why there is suffering in the world. Because of humans like you and me. If we followed the word of Christ there would be NO pain or sadness. People shouldn’t judge a religion on things people say to irritate you. You should base it on your studies of the bible and other religious and historical texts. I think anything else is an uninformed opinion.

25. JonnyWiseGuy2764 says:

Liv_bella is exactly right. If the topic of suffering is studied properly, with relation to the Christian view, then things will make a lot more sense than just believing the most obvious thing. The most obvious thing to believe does not require much thought, but once you delve into philosophical thought, nothing is that simple. We are not God’s pets. We were never meant to be God’s pets. If we were, then we wouldn’t call the shots in our life, God would. But the Bible tells us that we were created with freewill; we are not puppets in this life and therefore make the decision to either follow God, or not. If we don’t follow God, then obviously we aren’t listening to what Jesus taught us. If we aren’t all listening to what Jesus taught us, then there will inevitably be suffering in the world. Suffering entered the world when sin did, and sin is repentance against God. That of course leads to suffering and death because, even if you don’t believe the Bible is holy, that is what it says. Jesus is the light of the world and He lives in His disciples, bringing light to a world falling more and more into darkness. The reason the world is getting more in a state as days go by is because people are seizing to follow Jesus, and this is what Peter Hitchens (brother of famous Atheist Christopher Hitchens) explains in his book ‘The rage against God’. The world is in moral decline because people are not listening to God. Even if you just take one commandment of not commiting adultery. If this one commandment was obeyed, there would not be all the disease and HIV/Aids in Africa, all the millions of orphans, the abounding uneducation, the famine etc etc.. If the commandment to love your neighbour as yourself was obeyed, then there would be no more loneliness and consequent suffering because all people would would actually care and have love for each other. The list goes on and on.. It’s ALL to easy for people to sit there and say that there is so much suffering in the world, and then blame God for it, but they do not realise that it’s really not as simple as that. If someone wants to love and help you, but you turn your back as if they’re not there, how can they help you? It’s the same with us and God. He does love us and care, and will work through His people everyday to help others and perform the miraculous in His name, if only we were willing. Jesus said ‘I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.’ John 14:12. But there are many Christians even who are too comfortable to sit back and not do all that Jesus commanded, they do not go out and shine His light by loving and healing the sick etc.. As Ghandi once said ‘I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.’ However, when they are like Jesus, filled with His Holy Spirit and do all that He commanded; the result is evident for everyone to see. Documentary films like the brilliant ‘Furious Love’ and ‘Father of lights’ by Darren Wilson prove that God exists and that His love never fails. I would highly recommend them to anyone who would like to challenge their views about God. It is easy to believe that He does not exist in the world we live in, but His words will always remain true, as they were for me; ‘You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart.’ Jeremiah 29:13.

To Monica and anyone who reads this, please feel free to e-mail me if you want to chat about anything! :)

Lots of love,
    Jon

26. Mikey says:

Jesus likes you! He doesn’t just love you, he likes you. He enjoys being near you, seeing you when you’re happy. He worries about your wellbeing, he wants you to be healthy and content, fulfilled, provided for, and happy. We know Jesus loves us because the Bible says that. But for those people who don’t know what to think of the Bible (both before Jesus and today) God came into our world physically, and told us how much he loved us. He showed us how to love like he loves, to be passionate for social justice, to hate injustice and things he never wanted (poverty, sickness, evil), and he told us to go. There are very few people on Earth who haven’t got these things available to learn, so between us we should be able to sort this place out!

You can never argue against an encounter, without calling someone a liar. I know Jesus loves me, not only because the Bible says so, or because he came and said it himself, but because he has touched my heart! Now you’re going to encounter his love, and these words won’t even matter ha. Jesus doesn’t just love you, he likes you :) Don’t ask me to prove you wrong (I’m no good at debates), ask Jesus to prove you wrong!

Shabba x

27. jesus love you okay why do some god loving chrisitians
    dislkes gays and liberals like myself who stand for human
    rights for blacks and women and single moms who rise
    their kids with out a father in the family picture is wrong

28. my questen today why dont some chrisitians dont protest
    agaist the war in Afghanistan thats killing our men & women
    in the us military if some chrisitians are for peace they
    should march in the streets with the aniti war protestors

29. Sara says:

I’m very sorry you cannot understand the love of Jesus. He died on the cross for us, even though we did nothing to deserve this. If that is not love, what is? As far as feeding the poor, etc, today He has commissioned us to do that. He chose to give us all a free will to choose to do right and wrong, to help others or not. The mess the world is in is of our own making and our own responsibility. He never promised to take the world’s problems away, but He did promise inner peace, which He has given me abundantly – something I never had back when I was an atheist.

30. Alejandra says:

Jesus loves you. A hope for humankind.
    I dont have a dined religion, i am recently discovering with actual historic facts what jesus message was to us.i think your definition of love its what is incorrect , not the actual “love of jesus”, love its not taking care of others, doing things for other. At least not true love. The problem is that very few can experience or even know true love, i am not including myself, since im in my path to truly find it. But the thing is that the love of God cannot be compared with the love of people because people love change according to preformance or situations its not infinite. The promise of infinite love its what we should seek. In god, jesus, whatever that makes you feel conected to it. The love you talk about seems to be very physical, love on earth, not the promise of eternal life jesus talked about and infinite love. I think god doesn’t gave us a perfect world, with perfect like, because he gave us the right of decidig, what is or bad, and gave us the freedom to believe or not, the abilitybto evolve mentally and spiritually, it doesnt seem to be an easy path but it all seems to be part of our purpose on earth. That is why jesus doesnt solve your problems or agonies, because we came here to learn something, do something and Feel the love of god. To fill that emptiness that bot any other person can fill, nor any other physical person can fill. Or at least for me no person has filled.

31. Alejandra says:

Sorry i had a bad spelling situation on recent post.
    Jesus loves you. A hope for humankind.
    I dont have a defined religion, i am recently discovering with actual historic facts what jesus message was to us.i think your definition of love its what is incorrect , not the actual “love of jesus”, love its not taking care of others, doing things for other. At least not true love. The problem is that very few can experience or even know true love, i am not including myself, since im in my path to truly find it. But the thing is that the love of God cannot be compared with the love of people because people love change according to preformance or situations its not infinite. The promise of infinite love its what we should seek. In god, jesus, whatever makes you feel conected to it. The love you talk about seems to be very physical, love on earth, not the promise of eternal life jesus talked about and infinite love. I think god doesn’t gave us a perfect world, with perfect life, because he gave us the right of deciding, what is good or bad, and gave us the freedom to believe or not, the ability to evolve mentally and spiritually, it doesnt seem to be an easy path but it all seems to be part of our purpose on earth. That is why jesus doesn’t solve your problems or agonies, because we came here to learn something, do something and Feel the love of god To fill that emptiness that people cannot fill. Or at least for me no person has filled. I know it seems all so irrelevant the whole story, but maybe when your time comes Jesus will touch your heart and you would feel the need to live according to his ethics, his REAL thoughts and preaches on ethics and moral, not the church comandments, or even the old testament punishing God. Jesus promise was more relatable to us because he was human, he knew we are flawed and sin by nature and how hard it is to be on the right path, but the logic and reason defiying definition of grace is what gives us hope for eternal life. Many people that feel conected to God, have passed and overcome dificult situations and therefore feel God within them. This doesnt mean you have to have a horrible situation to know jesus but maybe there is a time for evryone, and yours will come. Because knowing that you have evrything in life, succes, family ,health and still feeling empty sucks. And, its something that can only be filled by God, maybe our souls were created to feed on it to feel at peace and complete. Call me crazy but this is what made me belive in the love of jesus, the love of God.

32. Jon says:

Here’s one for you. Take a minute to think about love. Science cannot explain it, although scientists try to. We feel it and we know it exists. But why do we feel it? Do you really believe that time could create such an amazing feeling within us? Evolution, genetic variation, survival etc.. Whatever you say, do you truly believe in your heart that love, joy and laughter or any emotion for that matter, could have been created from time and a sequence of events? You may feel so constricted by your skeptical views about God’s existence, that you feel forced to try and think of Earthly reasons we might feel love. You’ll find that you feel unsatisfied with the idea that love could have been created by anything, apart from a loving Father God who loves us deeply. So deeply that He was willing to sacrifice Himself for us. I didn’t know the truth once; I do now. ‘God is love’ (1 John 4:8). ‘We love because God first loved us.’ (1 John 4:19). If we turn away from Him, how do we expect to have a wonderful life? That’s like expecting to have a great life as a ten year old child, after we decide to turn away from the guidance and love of our parents, or decide not to listen to them. Of course there will be consequences, no? If my dad says, don’t put your hand in a fire, it’s because there’s a reason for that. We sin and then carry it on our shoulders, but it is too heavy for us. The world as it is today is a consequence of man turning away from God and disobeying Him. We’re lost and will ALL have that emptiness within until the day we accept Jesus, who said “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” John 6:35. Lots of love, Jon :-)

33. Thetha says:

Isiah 53:5 ‘But he was wounded for our transgressions, and he was crushed for our iniquities, and the punishment that made us whole was upon him, and by his bruises we are healed.’

1 Peter 2:24 24 ‘“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the tree, so that we might die to those sins and live righteously. “By his wounds you have been healed.”’

Notice that it says ‘you have been healed’ – past tense. The truth is Jesus did take away blindness, and every other disease known to mankind. But God never forces things on us. Healing is a gift, as is salvation. A gift can’t be imposed on anyone; it has to be accepted. If you look at Luke 18:35-43 Jesus asked the blind man ‘What do you want me to do for you?’. I think it’d be pretty obvious that if I was a healer and a blind person asks for mercy, he’d be asking me to heal him. Jesus needed him to express his acceptance of healing, hence the question.

Jesus’ death on the cross brought us deliverance from sin and it’s consequences like disease, depression, poverty, to name a few. But this deliverance(freedom) requires acceptance from each of us.